Here’s a look at what’s coming up next at the Bay Spring Community Center.
Join us for the newest edition of The Currents, the BSCC’s popular spoken word program. This time around, we take a look at perspectives on the topic of “Love”. Not a bad way to get ready for Mother’s Day!
We’re thrilled to be joined by:
- Poet Karen Donovan
- The Reverend Patrick Greene
- Professor Mark Johnson
- Writer Chris Watson
We hope to see you there!
The Currents returns for 2016 with our annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Weekend event on January 16. Join us and our our lineup of outstanding speakers, including:
- Steve Adams, attorney
- PJ Fox, Interim Director, The Institute for the the Study and Practice of Non-violence
- Christopher McEnroe, educator
- Michael Obel-Omia, educator and essayist
- Jennifer Watson, writer and artist
Together, they’ll share their perspectives on the topic, “Witness.”
The Currents returns! Winter has been waffling, sort of here, sort of not. The election season is upon us and people just can’t make up their minds. Isn’t anyone ready to commit? Yes! We have four fantastic speakers who will be sharing their thoughts on exactly that…the topic of “Commit.” What does it mean to them? What does it mean to you? Join us on March 19 along with:
- Susan Wood, small business executive and former co-chair of the FBSCC
- Topher Hamblett, founder and president of Foundation for Africa
- Denise Alves, coalition director of The BAY Team
- Susan Collyer, writer, actor and director
The Currents…always offering ideas that sweep you away!
Chance…it can be a gamble, it can be coincidence, it might be a catchy tune by ABBA (and yes, you know you have that song stuck in your head now). Plus it’s the topic for our final Currents of the 2015-2016 season. Our outstanding lineup of speakers includes:
The Currents is a compelling, original presentation and discussion series. Inspired by The Moth Radio Hour and This American Life, The Currents brings together East Bay writers, storytellers, artists, and poets who share their thoughts on and interpretations of a single topic for the evening from different perspectives.
Just in time for Thanksgiving, the Currents returns with an exploration of Food! Join our stellar speakers as they share their thoughts and lead conversations with the audience:
- “Let’s Talk about GMO Foods” – Mark Johnson, Professor of Biology, Brown University
- “Your Bodies Dance with Food” – Denice Hilty, DC, Transformational Healthcare
- Christine Lichatz, Garden Designer
- And more!
Plus, we’ll be collecting non-perishable food items for donation to local food banks, just in time for the holidays.
Dealing with taxes and submitting your return can be a chore for most of us but on the evening of April 15, it will be anything as we present the latest edition of The Currents with great speakers sharing their perspectives on the idea of “Returns”. We’ll be joined by:
Dr. Elizabeth Francis, Executive Director of the RI Council for the Humanities
Peter Mandel, Travel Writer and Children’s Book Author
Dave Portelli, Physician & Firewood Aficionado (we’re particularly interested in hearing his talk on “Playing with Fire: Challenges and Pitfalls of Locally Sourcing Your Firewood”)
We’ll see you for fun evening on April 15!
The Currents is back! On March 24, our great speakers will share their perspectives on the topic, “Silence.” Please join us along with:
- Josh Bickford, editor of the Barrington Times
- Kristen Chin, director of the Barrington Library
- Magi Green, grandmother and volunteer
It will be an evening of great conversation, insightful discussion, and (like usual) wonderful entertainment and laughter.
It’s storytelling night at Bay Spring!
The Currents returns on April 6, 2019 with four takes on the topic of Foolishness. Here are our speakers:
- Andrew Bramson on “Why I Spent My Wedding Anniversary at the Chernobyl Nuclear Site”
- Gary Deslaurier on “Professor Gizmo Explains It All”
- Daniel Penengo on “The Typewriterist”
- Karen Donovan on “Universe Reverse with Ocho Loco on Cajon”
Doors open at 6:30, and there will be snacks!